skip navigation


05/08/2014, 10:30am EDT
By Detroit City FC

What Happened: Detroit City FC came back from an early deficit to take a 2-1 lead into stoppage time with goals coming from Tyler Arnone in the 71st minute and Kevin Taylor in the 77th minute, but couldn’t hold on. With RWB Adria on its final attack of the game, a scrum in the box resulted in Vlad Baciu’s second goal of the game with just seconds remaining to tie the game at two goals apiece. But after a back-and-forth affair, Detroit City would fall in a penalty shootout 2-2 (3-1 PK).

In extra time, hostile play and injuries characterized the 30-minute session. Ryan Thelen was forced to leave the game in the first half of extra time with an apparent head injury, while Zeke Harris was also sidelined for several minutes in the latter half before returning to the pitch. Three total red cards were shown to the two squads, resulting in 10v9 play for much of the second part of overtime.

Finally, after the two extra time sessions failed to produce a goal from either side, RWB Adria edged out Le Rouge with a 3-1 advantage in a penalty shootout. RWB Adria will advance to the next round of the U.S. Open Cup to play the Michigan Bucks next week.

Cards Keep Coming: The two sides combined for six yellow cards and three red cards over the course of the 120-minute match. Zeke Harris and Zach Myers each picked up cautions in the first 90 minutes before Harris was ejected with a straight red card in the second extra time session. Since Harris’s red card came in U.S. Open Cup play, he will not be forced to sit out during City’s National Premier Soccer League opener on Saturday, May 10.

Many of the yellow cards that RWB Adria received were handed out due to ill-timed and dangerous tackles with three of the four coming in the second half. The red card was shown to two RWB players in the overtime session for a dangerous tackle on Tyler Arnone and then for a scuffle involving Zeke Harris in the second extra time session.

Squandering Several Scores: Le Rouge garnered plenty of possession in the final third of the field throughout the game, resulting in a multitude of scoring chances. However, DCFC just wasn’t sharp enough to finish those chances, remaining scoreless until the 71st minute of the game.

In the first half, Wade Allan rang a shot off the cross bar after receiving a great pass from Cyrus Saydee from the right sideline. Just minutes before Allen squandered the scoring chance, Kevin Taylor shot one just over the crossbar.

Le Rouge had several opportunities to take the lead in extra time too, with David Edwardson pushing a shot just inches wide of the left post in the 93rd minute and Zach Myers rifling a shot over the crossbar from the penalty spot in the 105th minute.

First Time For Everything: Wednesday’s match marked the first time Detroit City FC played in the U.S. Open Cup throughout its three-year history. Despite the unfavorable result, the experience the team gained was a testament to last season’s remarkable success and the passion supplied by the supporters and ownership. As an interesting tidbit to pair with the club’s first appearance, Kevin Taylor’s goal on Wednesday set the U.S. Open Cup record for the longest period between goals scored in the tournament. Taylor played in the U.S. Open Cup in 2003 when he scored a goal, making the span nearly 11 years long between the tally in 2003 and the goal on Wednesday.

Looking Ahead: Since Wednesday’s loss eliminates Detroit City FC from U.S. Open Cup competition, the club will look forward to its home opener on May 10 at 1 p.m. against the Cincinnati Saints at Cass Technical High School in Detroit. DCFC’s main focus will now be on securing theGreat Lakes West Conference title and advancing to the Midwest Region playoff.

Tag(s): News