skip navigation

Detroit City FC Men Enjoy a Small Break / Detroit City FC Women Win Season Finale / Both Reserve Sides Win at the Weekend

07/13/2021, 9:00am EDT
By Detroit City FC


DETROIT CITY FC MEN ENJOY A SMALL BREAK: On Saturday, July 3 the Detroit City FC Men’s first team made history by winning the 2021 NISA Championship in front of a packed Keyworth Stadium. The Men’s First team has some time off now after their victory before getting ready for the NISA Fall Season by way of the NISA Independent Cup where they will be looking to win their division for the second straight year.

Their first match in the 2021 NISA Independent cup is on Wednesday, July 14 at 7PM where they host FC Buffalo at Keyworth Stadium, tickets for that match can be found here.


DETROIT CITY FC WOMEN WIN SEASON FINALE: The Detroit City FC Women’s First Team wrapped up their inaugural season in the UWS on Saturday night at Keyworth Stadium when they defeated the visitors Lansing United 3-0. 

Before the match it was announced that the first ever captain of the Detroit City FC Women’s side, Sarah Huge would be playing her last match and was presented with her own kit in a small ceremony in the midfield before kickoff. It wasn’t long before she would make an impact, scoring the opening goal of the evening in the 26th minute when she got on the end of a beautiful ball into the box by #24 Kenna White to break the deadlock and put Le Rouge up 1-0.

Detroit City FC would continue to pile on the pressure, finding a second goal right before the half as Melanie Forbes was found through the middle by Mami Yamaguchi and tucked home a shot to double the Detroit City FC lead before the half. The scoring would spill over into the final 45’ with Kenna White scoring herself this time with a beautiful finish after cutting inside from the wing.

It was a truly historic year for Women’s soccer in the city of Detroit and a great start that can be built on as the years go by.

See the final UWS standings here:


U23 LOSES THEIR FIRST MATCH OF THE SEASON: After a very difficult match last Sunday, July 4 on the road to Lansing Common, the Detroit City FC U23 side was eager to bounce back at home yesterday when they welcomed BIH Grand Rapids into town for a big encounter in the Midwest Premier League. The loss to Lansing was the first time they had dropped points all season and Head Coach Javi Bautista was looking for a response from his side.

Detroit City FC controlled the first half, not carving out too many chances but definitely had control over the flow of the match which was played in a constant misty-type rain which had an impact on the playing surface and how the ball moved across the pitch. This control would pay off in the 25th minute when #13 Keith Larson did an incredible job receiving the ball just past midfield and running past two Grand Rapids players before having a shot from distance which found its way into the back of the net.

That was the only goal of the game from either side as Detroit City FC’s backline did well to keep Grand Rapids at bay and see the game out to secure the three points.

The Detroit City FC U23 side is next in action on Wednesday, July 14 when they travel to Mt. Clements to take on Lake St. Clair FC. Their next home match is on Sunday, July 18 where they will look to get revenge on Lansing Common FC, tickets for that match can be found here. 


WOMENS RESERVE TEAM FINALLY BACK ON THE PITCH: It was a very hot and humid afternoon match for the Detroit City FC Women’s Reserve side as they welcomed the Grand Haven Admirals to Keyworth Stadium on Saturday, July 10. George Easter and his side were certainly delighted to see clear skies over the pitch after their last match, away to Thundercats Soccer was postponed due to a storm in the first minute.

The match was relatively even in the first half but it wouldn’t stay 0-0 for long after the break as only 40 seconds into the second half, Lillian Lucas played a brilliant ball through to the feet of Isabella Sabo who calmly slotted home a strike under the Admirals goalkeeper. Le Rouge would hold onto this lead and grow into this one even more and that came to a point in the 72nd minute when Lillian Lucas got on the end of a freekick from Kimberly Siebert and after some confusion in the box, threw her foot at a loose ball which was enough to give Detroit City FC their 2-0 lead which would be the final score at the end of 90’.

The Women’s Reserve side is back in action on Thursday, July 15 when they welcome Livonia City FC to Keyworth Stadium, tickets for that match can be found here.  



In light of the latest guidance from the CDC and state and local health officials, Keyworth Stadium has returned to full capacity.


Please review the CDC’s full guidelines here as of May 13, 2021:


Tag(s): Home  News