skip navigation

Men's U23 Team Continues Undefeated Streak Against Michigan Stars U23

07/01/2021, 2:30pm EDT
By Detroit City FC

HAMTRAMCK, MI (June 30, 2021) - The Detroit City FC U-23 side battled Michigan Stars FC in a rain-delayed, physical game where the Le Rouge would go on to win 2-1. 

DCFC started the game out fast with an early chance from #13 Keith Larson but that opportunity would be saved. After the quick chance, Michigan Stars FC began to play very aggressive with high pressure from the forwards and also the defense. This pressure forced Detroit City to elevate their game by working on building from the midfield and finding open players making runs forward. 

The pressure would get to the Le Rouge as they would turn the ball over in their third and #8 Alex Zaleczny of the Michigan Stars would rip a shot that would hit off the bottom crossbar and go out of play. Almost immediately after the Stars chance, #17 Benedek Tanyi would rifle a shot off a free-kick that would just hit the goalkeeper’s fingers and force a corner. 

DCFC would eventually find its rhythm as #7 Bosh Tanyi would find himself with a tap-in goal; however, the goal would be called back due to him being offside. Moments later, Keith Larson would dribble around the Stars backline, fake a shot that froze the goalkeeper, and scored a tap in goal to put Detroit City up in the match. 

After the goal, the match would take a 30-minute break due to lightning. 

Detroit City started the second half right where they left off; with a huge chance. #18 Shion Soga broke through from the Stars defense and found himself one on one with the goalkeeper. Soga’s shot would be saved and so would Keith Larson’s follow-up attempt. 

DCFC started to link up passes through the rain and start to play more comfortably in the second half. The Le Rouge showed why they are such an impressive and fun team to watch as they possessed the ball more and more as the game went on and also found many chances to score, but their shots would not be on the frame. 

After #9 Zion Beaton stole the ball from the Stars defender in their box, Beaton would find the back of the net to put DCFC up by two scores. In a matter of 4 minutes, the game would completely flip on its head.

#9 Mamadou Bah of the Stars would score a header from just outside the six-box. As goalkeeper #98 Hunter Morse was grabbing the ball from the net, Bah would try to steal the ball from his hands. Morse tried to avoid giving the ball to his opponent, but Bah had other plans. 

Bah escalated the encounter, throwing a punch at Morse, and a scuffle ensued. Both teams would  congregate in front of DCFC’s goal. Bah and Morse would be shown red cards and sent off for the last minutes of the game. 

When the dust settled and the final whistle blew, #9 Zion Beaton would be awarded the Google Fi Man of the Match award for his game-winning goal and his strong play up top.

The Detroit City U-23 team continues their campaign as they visit Lansing Common FC at 2 p.m. on July 4th. 

Tag(s): Home  News